7/18/11

Tonight's Fare: Beef with Oyster Sauce, Pork Fried Rice, Green Beans


I needed to find something that I could do with that leftover pork!  I chopped up about 8 oz into smaller pieces, then made pork fried rice as my side.  I had green beans still leftover from the other night, so I heated those up in the microwave- which is why they look a little limp.   Then I marinated sliced flank steak,  stir-fried a sliced carrot in ginger, and finished the meat in oyster sauce/broth mixture.  I overdid it a little on the ginger; I had pre-chopped ginger in a tube from the grocery store, and it was hard to measure- the recipe called for 1/4 inch slice of ginger, but the chopped-up mixture in the ready-to-use tube just overwhelmed the flavor a bit.  I'd try it again, but use fresh-cut ginger in a smaller piece to flavor the wok prior to stir-frying.


The marinade includes:  1.5 T Soy Sauce, 2 tsp cornstarch, 1.5 T water,  1 T veg. oil mixed together; you marinade the sliced flank (2-3 inch long slices, 1/4 " thick)  for 15 minutes before stir-frying.


You fry the ginger first, then brown the meat until almost cooked through, then remove it and strain it- and clean the wok.  Next you sautee your diagonally sliced carrots (and mushrooms, though I left them out) in 2T veg oil, move them to the side, and add the sauce to the center to boil.


The Sauce is:  2.5 T oyster sauce, 1/2 c chicken broth or water, 1/2 T of brown sugar whisked together.


When the sauce boils, you add the beef back in and mix it all up to heat thoroughly.


It's pretty simple, but again, be careful about the ginger if you are not a huge fan of the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment