11/26/13

Joy of Cooking's Turkey Tetrazini Recipe

It would not be Thanksgiving Week without this recipe.  I just love it!

The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer is so old that my own copy fell apart years ago.  Thus, I had to hunt online for this one, rather than purchase the whole cookbook.  There are some really good recipes in it, however, for a basic cookbook.  I just wish it had photos to accompany it.  But I learned that it was written by a woman who lost her husband to a suicide and had children to literally feed, so she published it, and now I feel like I should go buy a new copy.  Here's to single parents making a living!

 Ingredients
  • 2-3 c. shredded, cooked turkey meat
  • 1/2 lb spaghetti or macaroni (2 c.)
  • 1/2 c. blanched, slivered almonds (optional:  I LEAVE THIS OUT!)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 lb mushrooms sauteed with 3 tbs dry white wine
  • 3 tbs butter or chicken fat
  • 2 tbs flour
  • 2 c. chicken broth
  • 1 c. heavy cream or half 'n' half
  • grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

    Preheat oven to 385 degrees. Shred 2-3 cups chicken into small pieces.  (I season with a bit of salt and parsley).

       
    Boil the pasta in salted water; I love this fusilli- looks like my hair in the morning!! :)

    Saute mushrooms with white whine.  Make a roux of the butter and flour, 
    then add warmed broth and cream.  


    Mix pasta with chicken and mushrooms.  Arrange in 13 x 9 inch casserole.  Slowly pour over the cream/broth mixture.
    Sprinkle top of casserole with parmesan cheese.  Place in the oven for 30 minutes, uncovered.

    Serve warm.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment