11/25/13

Only for the leftovers....


I'm always happy to go somewhere else for Thanksgiving, but there is something about not being able to do a midnight snack of turkey or having leftovers for breakfast the next day or making Turkey Tetrazini just because you don't know what to do with all the remaining bird that is unfortunate.  Therefore, I always make a turkey dinner during the week of Thanksgiving so we can benefit from the leftovers.  Today, I'm making a dry-brined "Judy Bird" and homemade dinner rolls with THIS recipe for Pillow-Soft Dinner Rolls.

"What's a 'Judy Bird'?" you ask.  It's a dry-brined turkey made by this lady named Judy Rogers of San Francisco's Zuni CafĂ© in San Francisco.   I've done the wet brine, the dry rub, the buttered, and this time, I wanted to do something a little different.  Her recipe is HERE.  The turkey is salted, spiced, and set in a bag inside the fridge to complete dethawing; it rests for an hour outside the fridge before cooking:









Also made homemade mashed potatoes with Yukon Golds.  They are smaller, quicker to cook, and I love the flavor.

 Before the milk & butter...











...and with the yumminess added!

And the finished Judy Bird:

 

The bird was cooked through, but also very moist, and the skin was awesomely salty and crisp.  I know, digusting, but it's still my favorite part of the turkey!  It'll be lovely for leftovers- though the skin was salty, the meat was perfectly flavored. Not too much salty flavor, just moist meat! Way to go Judy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment