7/16/14

Cooking with Aidan: Homemade Peanut Butter

One of the things I want to make sure I do as a parent is teach my son how to cook. My husband can "cook", but it's pretty much limited to heating up pizza in the microwave, and stirring Kraft macaroni & cheese on the stove. {There is a long-held myth that Dan can make Lasagna, but it has never been proven, so it remains part of the oral tradition} For Aidan, I want him to have a entire repertoire of basic recipes at the least; so far, so good.  He's quite capable of making himself eggs and/or an omelette.  He still calls over-easy "poppin' eggs", which I love to hear as it is reminscent of the little boy in there somewhere.  He has to be watched, though, because his ability to cook eggs (scrambled, o/e, omellette, etc) means he will eat them often and I fear he will face cholesterol problems in the future.  He also likes making pizza dough and topping the pie.  Cookies? Yep. Cakes & brownies from a box?  Yes. Boiling pasta?  Uh-huh. Today's experiment was homemade peanut butter.  

Ingredients are simple:
 
(note: I used lightly salted so I didn't add any salt to the recipe)

Equipment:
1 Cup and 1 Tablespoon measures, and a food processor.

Literally the easiest thing.
2 C peanuts, 1-2 T peanut oil. (Start with one, add as needed- the peanuts release their own oil)
Blend until smooth.

Voila!  Homemade peanut butter.  And a bonus, 'how to make PB & J's'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment