7/14/14

Quinceañera!


It’s July.  And it’s hot.  So no one really wants to turn on the oven.
I’ve been slow-cooking, or barbecuing instead to keep the house cool.
On some days, it’s best just to go out!

This last Saturday, we went to a Quinceañera, which is a Mexican tradition.  At the age of 15, girls in the Mexican household are celebrated as they have their coming-out party and proceed into womanhood. This tradition is like the American “sweet 16”, but I think has a lot more pomp and circumstance to it.  I’ve been to some that were full-on like weddings.  And some are backyard affairs. 

This weekend, celebrating Sara’s quiceañera , we had a backyard event with mariachis, a Mexican-western band, and a Latino DJ.  The tacos and cake were awesome.  Though, I made the mistake of thinking the guacamole would be the least hot sauce on the table.  I incorrectly judged that, as the jalapenos or chilis in the guac nearly burned my throat. 

Here’s a look at the fare:


No comments:

Post a Comment