6/15/15

Arroz!


I've lived in Los Angeles for 21 years now, I have I yet to master the Mexican rice at-home recipe. It's always too soggy, too glumpy, and it frustrates me to no end.  I thus employed the help of my Mexican friends, the Bustillos' family.  Susy passed on directions for her recipe to me, and this was the best outcome I've ever had!
                                           
                           Muchas Gracias mi amiga!  Su arroz es muy bueno! 
Here is her recipe:
Ingredients:
1 cup white long grain rice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1.5 cups water
Garlic sauce to taste
2 tablespoons of Knorr chicken bullion (I use the tomato one)
Steps:
Pour the liquid, garlic sauce & bullion in a pot to boil.
In a separate pot, brown the rice in the oil until golden brown (constant stirring). 
When the rice is golden and the liquid has boiled, combine them both in a pot that you can cover. 
Careful because it will pop and bubble.
Let boil for about 5 minutes while you stir
Drop heat to low, cover and let cook for about 15-20 minutes. Make sure it doesn't dry out but you're using the steam to cook it so don't uncover too often. 
MY NOTES:  I used chicken boullion, because I didn't have the tomato on hand; you could also substitute chicken broth for the water instead, but watch the salt content. Also, I wasn't sure what kind of garlic sauce she was using, but I added 2 cloves minced garlic to my boiling liquid.

I'm pretty certain my issues had to do with not enough oil, and not browning the rice enough.  Also, my gas burner may have been too hot, I really only needed about 10 minutes to cook through.  I went with 15 and got some burnt rice on the bottom.  Probably a function of the thin steel pot I was using. I bet I could do this in my cast iron pot and it would be great! Either way... yes!  I can make arroz!





No comments:

Post a Comment