8/11/11

Backyard Farm & Back-to-School

I'm so excited to share what I found in the garden this morning: 


Finally, the green beans have come to fruition! Yahooie!

Additionally, I received the new FOOD NETWORK MAGAZINE and was excited to locate the 50 Ways to Use Bacon.  They had me at bacon. 

Inside was a lesson on how to make a "pencil" cake out of Sara Lee pound cakes and icing to celebrate the BTS season.  Aidan and I were mesmerized, and he said, "we can do THAT Mom!". So we did:

Basically, you need 2 loafs from the freezer section, food coloring, one tub of vanilla icing, 2 T of chocolate chips, and sour green candy strips.  I improvised with fruit roll ups because we couldn't find the sour apple or watermelon strips at our store. Here is Aidan with our result:

The tough part was carving it properly to shave the sides into angles for the pencil shape and the chocolate "lead" wouldn't stick on too well with the icing.  Next time, I think I'd just carve the extra pencil point and ice it with chocolate icing or melted chips, instead.  But, it's tasty and fun anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment