12/3/16

Toum (Mediterranean Garlic Sauce)


I had this Lebanese garlic sauce at a Mediterranean restaurant and it was SO awesome, I had to know how to make it at home . I found this recipe from the Mediterranean Chef online with this VIDEO.  

It was great, but I wish she'd warned me about the heat that comes from fresh garlic!  Other sites say it will die down over a few days in the fridge, but good Lord, my tongue was burning.  

It's so delicious though, and it is great as a sandwich spread, marinade, dipping sauce... just awesome.  You will keep vampires away for weeks after eating this, too!

RECIPE:

Ingredients:

Fresh Garlic - 2 cups
Conola Oil - 4 1/2 cups or ( more/less) depends how strong or light you want
Lemon Juice 3/4 Cup
Salt 1 1/2 tspn

Method:

Place the the fresh garlic in a food processor ( you could use a blender, if you have strong one) start with a table spoon of lemon juice alternating with the lemon juice slowy. Once you have finished with the 1st cup of oil you can increase the oil to about 2 tbls or so but keep the lemon juice same.

P.S - if you rush into this you will end up with a very thin runny sauce, what I normally do is add some more garlic to it and start all over again...hope you will not have to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment