7/13/16

Viva la France!

Demain est jour de la Bastille!  In honor of this moment in French history, I shall be having quiche and brie on triscuits. I'm not sure triscuits are Francais vrais, but since I'm cutting down on the carbs, gotta go without the brioche.

Here is the bacon cheddar quiche recipe, however, I added mushrooms, because J'aime champignons! I honestly believe that if we called mushrooms "champignons", more people would eat them.

This spreadable brie I located at the Grocery Outlet. It is called "wee brie", which is tres mignonne, ne c'est pas? 
Here's a little history for you that you might find interesting: "La Fête Nat. is probably called 'Bastille Day' in English because [it] is a brief, concise and unambiguous reference to the storming of the prison of the Bastille in Paris on July 14,1789, by 954 men and one woman, armed with pikes and miscellaneous firearms, yelling “Tous à la Bastille!"  *

But don't wish a Frenchman "Happy Bastille Day".  They view it as rude.  They don't approve of we Americans hanging our stars and stripes all over the place on July 4 either.

They just like to quietly get the day off and enjoy no work. I can respect that.

*Source: ©Julia Frey, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment