12/23/13

Traditions Abound!

My grandmother handwrote this recipe for me for Corn Flake Wreaths.  She made them every year for us when we arrived in Spokane for Christmas and they became synonymous with holidays at her house, along with peanut butter kiss cookies!  They're nothing spectacularly difficult, but they're so popular in my house that when I hadn't made them yet, both my boys bugged me about it: "where are the wreaths! There's NO WREATHS!!"  Thus, I give you a simply yet satisfying holiday treat tradition:


Ingredients:  1/3 cup butter, 10 oz marshmallows (large), 1 tsp green food coloring, 6 C Corn Flakes, cinnamon candies, holiday sprinkles

Melt the butter over slow heat, then add the marshmallows.  Melt slowly until completely liquid, then add the coloring and stir until green evenly.

Add the corn flakes and stir until combined.
Drop mixture by 1/4 c measurements onto parchment paper.
Use buttered fingers to shape into wreaths.
Sprinkle with jimmies and add 3-4 cinnamon candies per wreath.

Allow to cool, then use scissors to cut around the parchment and leave each wreath on a circular parchment sheet to store in a cookie tin.

Enjoy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment