9/14/13

Anatomy of a Tailgate, Badgerstyle

 It's UW vs. ASU day in our house, and since we can't go to the game in Tempe this time, we're partyin' up at home.  In our defense, it's already 100 degrees in the SGV, so we're imagining exactly how it would feel to be there in person.  Anyway... let's talk BRATS!

This is a pack of 5 beer brats;  normally, I don't buy them pre-beered, but this is all that Fresh and Easy had and I wasn't making two trips or missing my kid's baseball game to get Johsonville.  Thus...

With a sharp-tip knife, jab a few holes in each side of the brat so they soak up the liquid we'll be boiling them in.  Don't go too deep or you'll explode the meat out of the casing.

Slice up onions.  This is a yellow onion; I used half of it since I only had five brats.

Add the onions, brats, and enough beer to cover them. Today I'm using a Belgian White Ale. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and let them steep in the warm beer/onions until ready to bbq.


Meanwhile, at the cheese tent.... I've got me some Smoked Wisconsin Gouda and Wisconsin Monterey Jack cubed and ready for tasting.

As the game approaches, the charcoal grill gets hot, and we brown up those brats for buntasticness: 

And now, crack that bottle and get to it.  Let's go UW!














No comments:

Post a Comment