4/2/17

Ovens of Brittany Challenge

* It was 1989, it was winter, and the warm pastries fresh from the oven were to die for. There are no surviving photos I can find of Ovens of Brittany, Madison, Wisconsin, but I still crave their chicken almond salad and croissants.

I remember eating there on State Street with my Dad on a campus visit, and later with my first college boyfriend, and then with my roommates when we lived on Garfield Street just around the corner. A block or two north of Mickie's Dairy Bar, which still does exist, was the Monroe Street location of Ovens. I purchased the cookbook when I knew they were closing down, but I think I've only made the chicken salad since. Starting this spring break, I decided to sort of "Julia" it, and cook my way through the recipes that interested me as an homage to Madison and rustic French fare.


First up?  Ovens meatloaf and triple chip cookies.  



No comments:

Post a Comment