12/29/11

Cheddar Horseradish Soup

You probably guessed that I'm on a winter soup kick right now, and I'm back to the 50 Easy Soups by Food Network Mag. This is their cheddar-horsey soup, and it is good. I'd puree the carrots next time, I think... they were too thick for the amount of cook time. Maybe I didn't 'sweat' them long enough, but would have liked smaller pieces. I also omitted the leeks, as I don't like them. And I'd bake and serve the crouton bread on the side in triangles so they didn't get soggy in the soup. Otherwise, pretty nice, and anything requiring a bottle of beer to cook is good for me!

#29 Cheddar Horseradish Soup
2 diced leeks
2 diced carrots
pinch cayenne
pinch salt
3 T flour
2 T dry mustard
1 bottle beer
1/4 c horseradish
3 c water
dash of Worcestershire
2 c. half-n-half
1.5 c cheddar

Sweat the diced veggies in butter. Add cayenne, salt, flour, and dry mustard. Cook 2 minutes to make roux. Add beer, horseradish, water, Worcestershire. Simmer until thickened. Whisk in h-n-h and cheddar. Top with cracked pepper and croutons (or serve on side).


No comments:

Post a Comment